The First Gate of the Temple
photo ©2001 Kerk Phillips
This is the first gate to the temple, called the "One Pillar Gate" or Iljumun. It is so called because when viewed from the side the gate appears to be supported by a single pillar. This symbolizes the one true path of enlightenment which supports the world.
This gate was constructed in 1614. In 1718 two of the four stone pillars were replaced and in 1781 the wooden roof was rebuilt. It is currently designated as a Tangible Cultural Asset.
To see a photo of this gate as it looked in 1904 follow this link.
The inscriptions on the gate read (from right to left): "Sun Chal Tae Pon San" - A Zen Temple and Administrative Center; "Cho Kye Mun" - Gate of the Chogye Order (Pomosa is run by the Chogye Order); "Kum Jong San Pom O Sa" - Kumjung Mountain, Pomosa (The name of the location and the name of the temple).
Below are a couple of detail shots of the underside of the roof.